While I am working on my internship guide blog series, I wanted to post a list of the Top 10 conditions for dogs and cats to quickly get in my weekly post. The list is compiled from Veterinary Pet Insurance Co. (VPI) based on their policy claims for 2012. It is important for pet owners and veterinarians to familiarize themselves with the most common medical conditions, most of which can occur in any pet.
Top 10 Canine Conditions:
1. Skin Allergies (my mixed breed dog has skin allergies, so breed selection won’t get you out of this one). average cost $96/visit
2. Ear Infection…good old otitis externa- also allergy related
3. Skin Infection
4. Non-cancerous Skin Growth- so dermatology is almost 50% of medical conditions in dogs…yup?!
6. Arthritis- average cost $260/visit
8. Urinary Tract Infection
9. Dental Disease
10. Bruise or Contusion
Top 10 Feline Conditions:
1. Bladder Infection- I assume this is more likely urinary signs related to Feline Cystitis. Average claim cost $251/visit. This typically involves checking kidney values, x-rays to screen for bladder stones, a urinalysis and medications.
2. Dental Disease
3. Hyperthyroid- typically occurs in middle aged to older cats
4. Chronic Kidney Disease- typically occurs in middle aged to older cats
6. Diabetes Mellitus- typically occurs in middle aged to older overweight cats
8. Skin Allergies- okay so not the top 4 but still very common in our kitties
9. Lymphoma (cancer)- can occur at any age and affect the GI tract, nervous system, lymph nodes
10. Upper Respiratory Tract Infection- usually due to herpesvirus, calicivirus or secondary bacterial infection.
Many of these issues are chronic and can be frustrating to treat if they recur. This would be a good list to share with new dog/cat owners and to remind frustrated clients currently treating these diseases. Luckily, because they are common new treatments are constantly being researched.